Situated in the heart of the Italian city of Cremona, the Cremona Town Hall (Palazzo del Comune) is one of the city’s most impressive medieval buildings. The building is located on the Piazza del Comune, just opposite the Cremona Cathedral.
The Palazzo del Comune was built in 1206 by the Guelph political party which was in power in the city-state. It was used as the city’s town hall for public meetings. Built around a rectangular internal courtyard, the entire structure was enlarged in 1245, and then completely renovated in 1496. The mullioned windows were replaced with square windows, and a lavish marble balcony called the ‘arengaro‘ was added to the facade, from which decrees could be delivered.
Inside, it houses some notable works of art, such as the sculpture ‘Porta Stanga’, and oil canvases by Italian Renaissance and Baroque painters Luigi Miradori, Giovanni Battista Trotti and Boccaccino, all of whom worked in Cremona. Several examples of violins are on display by Cremonese luthiers, in a room known as the Sala dei Violins. Other rooms of note are the Sala del Consiglio dei Decurioni (Council Hall of the Decurions), the blue room, and the pink room. The Hall of Halberdiers has 13th century frescoes to admire.
Visiting The Cremona Town Hall
The Palazzo del Comune is usually one of the first stops for visitors to Cremona, as it is situated just opposite the city’s beautiful cathedral. It is free to visit for the public, except on days that meetings are in session. It is open 9am – 6pm Mon – Sat, and 10am – 5pm on Sundays and public holidays. It is closed January 1st, May 1st and December 25th.